Pictured here in 1969 is a Koehring 505 hydraulic excavator at work on a Framat Construction Ltd. sewer job in Southwestern Ontario.
Due to increased demand for housing in the 1960s, there was no shortage of contracts to build water treatment plants, sewers and watermains. Cable operated excavators were still in use on these projects, but the new hydraulic machines offered better cycle times along with more operator control.
In 1963, Koehring introduced their model 505 hydraulic machine in two variations, the hoe and the Skooper front shovel.
It was sought after by contractors given its 1.5 cubic metre capacity bucket, long reach and a digging depth of 8 metres. Operators also adapted quickly to the air-over-hydraulic controls. Subsequently, Koehring introduced both smaller and larger capacity hydraulic excavators based on the 505’s success, including the popular model 466 up to the huge 1466.
Koehring, based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin also had a plant in Brantford, Ontario that built cable machines, forestry equipment and the model 466 excavator to supply the Canadian market.
The Ontario dealer at the time was M.L Baxter Ltd., based in Toronto.
This article is provided by the Historical Construction Equipment Association (HCEA) Canada. HCEA Canada is a Proud Community Heritage Partner of the Simcoe County Museum.