Ritchie Bros. recent Edmonton auction sold about $78 million in heavy equipment this week for more than 1,000 consignors.
The three-day auction, held Sept. 4 to 6, attracted more than 9,000 bidders from 49 countries, including more than 6,850 people that registered to bid online. About 88 per cent of the equipment was sold to Canadian buyers, including 56 per cent sold to Alberta buyers.
International buyers from such countries as the United States, Singapore, and New Zealand purchased 12 percent. Online buyers purchased about 67 per cent of the assets sold.
“We continued to see strong pricing for equipment and trucks in this week’s auction,” said Trent Vandenberghe, regional sales manager for Ritchie Bros. “Transportation pricing remains solid and bidding on heavy construction equipment was very active, showcasing depth in the market for this equipment right now. Oilfield transportation equipment also delivered solid results, as contractors looking ahead to fall and winter work start to upgrade their fleets.”
More than 7,650 items were sold at the Edmonton auction, including more than 200 truck tractors, 130 compactors, 100 skid steer loaders, 80 excavators, 70 flatbed trucks, 50 dump trucks, 40 dozers, 40 loaders, 40 boom trucks and 25 farm tractors. All items were sold without minimum bids or reserve prices.
“The auction was great, prices exceeded our expectations,” said Jason Weinberger, President of W Corporation, who sold more than 75 items as part of a complete dispersal of his company’s trucking and drilling division. “I saw our equipment get bids from across Canada, as well as Mexico and Colombia.”
Edmonton auction highlights include:
- A 2007 Foremost Commander C 8×8 off-highway bed truck sold for $530,000.
- A 2016 Komatsu D155AX-8 dozer sold for $410,000.
- A 2013 Caterpillar D6T LGP with a Vanguard 72H hydraulic pipelayer sold for $395,000.
- A 2011 Western Star 4900SA 9,450-litre tri-drive hot oiler press tank truck sold for $380,000.
- A 1999 Liebherr LTM1080 90-ton 8x8x8 all-terrain crane sold for $265,000.
- A 2011 Caterpillar 349EL hydraulic excavator sold for $240,000.
- A 2014 Western Star 4900SA 14,793-litre tri-drive sleeper combo vac truck sold for $225,000.
- A 2012 Caterpillar 740B 6×6 articulated dump truck sold $220,000.
- A 2013 Caterpillar 966H wheel loader sold for $202,500.
- A 2012 Freightliner M2112 T/A tire truck sold for $142,500.