Gold Rush excavator heads to auction for charity

Gold Rush excavator

The Gold Rush-themed Volvo EC200E excavator, inspired by the Discovery Channel television show, will be auctioned off at the Ritchie Bros. largest equipment auction of the year.

As well, the proceeds from the sale will benefit two charities.

Ritchie Bros. February equipment auction in Orlando, Florida will include this one-of-a-kind Volvo excavator with custom features inspired by the Gold Rush TV show.

Proceeds from the sale will be shared between two home-building nonprofit organizations voted on by viewers.

 “This is an opportunity to own a really unique piece of equipment while also helping others,” said Dave Foster, vice president of marketing and communications for Volvo Construction Equipment Americas.

“We’re honoured to support these deserving organizations and allow someone to put to use this impressive machine.” 

The excavator was designed to celebrate Discovery Channel’s 10th season of Gold Rush and to benefit two nonprofit organizations that help people build homes, Building Homes for Heroes and Habitat for Humanity.

Gold Rush and Volvo fans can vote online for their charity of choice in the Give Big Giveaway until March 6.

The organization with the most votes will receive 60 per cent of the proceeds and the other will receive 40 per cent. To date, more than one million votes have been cast online.

The Volvo EC200E excavator appeared on the TV show Gold Rush. The show follows gold mining efforts of several family run companies in the Klodike region of the Yukon.

The Volvo EC200E excavator features a gold paint job, custom-molded gold track pads and a custom leather seat with embroidered autographs of the Gold Rush miner.

The Ritchie Bros. auction is scheduled for Feb. 17 to 22, will draw a wide audience of potential buyers for the excavator. Bidding will be available online and in person. Gold Rush miner Tony Beets is also expected at the auction. View the Ritchie Bros. Orlando auction info here.

Gold Rush at ConExpo

The winning bidder will be invited to join Gold Rush miners in the presentation of cheques to the two charities at ConExpo in Las Vegas in March.

ConExpo will be the last stop of a North American tour of the excavator, which has visited Volvo CE dealerships and events in more than 25 states and provinces since June.