Pictured here in 1947 is a Koehring dry batch single drum mixer at work pouring concrete during expansion of the Mount Hope airport in Hamilton, Ontario.
The contract included asphalt paving of the runways, while the aprons were concrete. Local contractor, Johnson Bros. Co. Ltd., had set up their asphalt plant on site and supplied aggregate from their Hardy Road, Brantford pit for both the asphalt and concrete aspects of the job.
Originally powered by steam, with continuing updates including gas and diesel power, these mixers were still utilized through the 1960s.
By then, several manufacturers including Koehring, Jaegar, Blaw Knox and Rex were focused on large batch plants, mixer trucks and slip form pavers for large highway and related projects.
To see more than 60 restored pieces of vintage construction equipment in action, be sure to attend Historical Construction Equipment Association (HCEA) Canada’s 2019 events, including the Wheels and Tracks Event, held June 8 and 9 at the Simcoe County Museum near Barrie, Ont.