Caterpillar’s new D5 dozer is set to succeed the company’s renowned D6N.
At 170 hp and an operating weight range of 17,179 kg to 19,170 kg, The new D5 is equipped with a fully automatic 3-speed transmission with lock-up clutch that offers faster cycle times, as well as more power and fuel efficiency.
The update from D6N to D5 is part of an effort to make all Cat dozer model names simpler.
The new machine was unveiled following the North American Finals of the Caterpillar 2019 Operator Challenge in Clayton, North Carolina.
The D5 dozer improves upon the performance of the D6N with more weight and horsepower, improved steering capability and various technology offerings to improve upon productivity. The completely redesigned cab delivers more space, multiple seat and control adjustments for comfort and a new 25 cm touchscreen operator interface.
A standard high definition rearview camera shows prominently in the main display. Overall visibility is enhanced with about 15 per cent more cab glass area, plus a steeper hood angle that provides 30 per cent better forward visibility to the blade and work site.
D5 dozer tech
Technology offerings on the D5 dozer are led by updated, factory integrated Cat GRADE with 3D. Advanced Inertial Measuring Units (IMU) provide greater speed and accuracy without position sensing cylinders. As well, smaller antennas are integrated into the cab roof for better protection and GPS receivers are mounted inside so they can be secured by locking the cab doors.
A more intuitive GRADE operator interface works like a smart phone, making it easy for operators to pick up quickly. Android OS platform allows installation of custom apps for more versatility. AutoCarry is included with GRADE with 3D to automate blade lift to maintain desired blade load, improving load consistency and reducing track slip.
Additional GRADE technologies include:
- Cat GRADE with Slope Assist provides basic blade positioning assistance without added hardware or a GPS signal. Updated main display makes the system more intuitive and easier to use.
- Cat Slope Indicate is standard, showing the machine cross-slope and fore/aft orientation on the primary monitor for quick and easy reference.
- Attachment Ready Option (ARO) provides optimal mounting locations, brackets and hardware and simplifies installation of an aftermarket grade control system. The new D5 makes it easier to install any brand of grade control system, with specific mounting locations for grade control components.
In addition to GRADE features, simple on-board technologies help with top performance and quality grades. Blade Load Monitor gives real-time feedback on current vs. optimal blade load to help optimize pushing capacity. Traction Control detects track slip and temporarily reduces track power to allow the operator to adjust blade load and limit track slip. Second generation Stable Blade works seamlessly with operator blade inputs for smoother surfaces when grading manually.
Enhanced Power Train Control
The D5 dozer helps make steering and slope work easier with advanced controls that automatically manage the power train and brakes. There are no extra operator inputs to think about – the built-in features just work in the background.
- Hill Descent Control maintains preselected machine speed, without using the service brakes, for added control when working downhill.
- Hill Hold automatically engages the brakes to hold position when in neutral on a slope.
- Decel Brake Pedal controls machine speed all the way to a complete stop, or for smooth inching control.
- Steering Radius Control uses steering and decel pedal input to automatically downshift for a tighter turning radius and more maneuverability.
The D5 dozer is available in Standard or Low Ground Pressure (LGP) configurations, with either a push arm or Variable Pitch Angle Tilt (VPAT) blade. A folding VPAT blade is available to help meet regional transport width requirements. Waste, Forestry/Land Clearing and Fire Dozer configurations offer specialized factory-installed guarding and other features to help take on the toughest applications.