An “overwhelming majority” of ConExpo exhibitors have confirmed their participation in next week’s show in Las Vegas.
As the Coronavirus takes its toll on trade shows and conferences around the world, ConExpo organizers say companies that have cancelled only account for 4,175 square metres, out of 251,000 square metres.
The cancellations account for about 1.7 per cent of floor space, and ConExpo has been able to re-sell about 1,400 square metres of the cancelled space.
The only exhibitors to cancel with booths larger than 185 square metres include Platform Basket, Camso/Michelin, Stanley infrastructure and BASF.
“We know customers are committed to attending the show in numbers and they are expecting to see and purchase equipment from the manufacturers of the best equipment in the world,” said AEM President Dennis Slater.
While Volvo CE announced its staff will not attend the show, it’s booth and new equipment will still be on display. Outside staff have also been hired to man the booth.
“Since announcing our decision to withdraw from Conexpo-Con/Agg 2020 due to the coronavirus, Volvo CE has been working very closely with our partners at AEM to determine the best path forward. At this point in preparations it would not be possible for Volvo CE to remove the equipment and dismantle the booth before the show begins. Instead, a small number of locally hired independent staff will remain on the site for the duration of the show. The booth will be ready for show opening on Tuesday March 10. Volvo CE is deeply appreciative of AEM’s collaboration in this difficult moment and recognizes the great value that the Conexpo-Con/Agg show brings to our industry and our customers every three years,” Volvo CE said in a statement.
ConExpo also noted travel restrictions related to international travel and corporate policies have impacted some companies that planned to exhibit at the show.
For attendance, COnExpo has recorded 18,000 new registrants since Feb. 21 when the travel restrictions and coronavirus started to have an impact. That total is outpacing the last show and also our cancellations to date.
Total registrations as of March 5 is more than 120,000 and climbing.
“Even if the cancellations total 10,000, which they don’t to date, we have a huge audience of customers coming to the show,” Slater said.
For IFPE, the event has been harder hit by cancellations due to a large international exhibitor presence and corporate travel policies.
Cancellations at IFPE represent 3,221 square metres, which is about 20 per cent of the show floor. So far, 306 metres have been resold. IFPE exhibitors that have cancelled include Parker Hannifin, Eaton, Danfoss and Bosch Rexroth.